I was out last weekend at the antique mall. Yeah, I’m that lame — A single late 20s guy who goes to antique malls. The worst part is that I actually probably know more about some of the junk there than the people who work it. Who knows. I just like antique malls because its a really cool cross section of history. You get to see how people in the old days dealt with problems. I like going to see if I can learn how the old mechanical things worked. I find that super interesting.
Anyway. I’m also always on the look out for cool old tools, and good deals on things that I could use in my shop.
While looking I found 2 different Eagle brand No. 66 oiler pump cans. These are cool to me primarily because they were old brass. Old crusty brass with a mechanical element. Theres that steampunk again…
So I bought them up. They were both under $20 and seemed to be complete and working.
Well I stupidly didn’t take any before pictures. So I found some from ebay that are in very similar condition.
The ones I got have rigid spouts not the movable kind like that.
So I went to town working only with my 2 speed bench grinder. Which is really just a 1 horse motor with some arbors that my grandfather bought back in the day. He was a dentist and it was the motor for his rotary dental tools in the 60s and 70s. Anyway, I attacked it with a semi-hard cotton wheel with white diamond cutting compound on it.
This is the halfway mark. I took the pump piston out, completely disassembled and cleaned inside and out.
The first can was a breeze, it had been emptied and washed out with a degreaser prior to antique mall. The second can, no so much. The second can’s unused oil, no idea what kind, had turned into a black thick gel that absolutely stunk. It took several degreaser baths to break it down and get it cleaned.
I’m super thrilled with the end results. They both are now filled with some cheaper thread cutting oil, the dark sulfuric oil. So far, not leaking at all.
I will say that they are a really simple design, if you stop and pay attention… I did not when opening the piston chamber of the first can. I nearly lost the ball bearings and springs. then it took an additional 45 minutes to figure out how to put it back together post cleaning. I usually try not to charge in like that, but sometimes I get excited.