I’ve recently been tasked to build an ENG rig for my Panasonic GH4 at work. So I went to work and found that two of the ENG lenses that I already had would be adaptable.
I picked up a 2/3″ B4 to mft mount and an lens power pack and its been pretty solid. It does increase the weight of the rig by about a ton. But after a full day of quick run-and-gun b-roll shooting that powered zoom is really handy!
I was tasked with making my company’s Dana Dolly portable so we could travel it for location shooting. So I did a bit of research. I found some DJ lighting clamps and some 1/2 inch steel tube stock and built a new collapsible track. It uses 1 1/4 conduit which we source and cut when we get to the place we’re shooting and discard when we’re done. Its a cheap and easy way to get some great shots!
So this isn’t an actual 2016 build. Its more of a late 2014 build, but it gets tweaked like every time I use it. I’m always looking to improve it.
No doubt that if you’ve gotten to this portion of my website, the blog, you probably understand that I shoot video. Well, what video shooter wouldn’t want a studio. I’d been wanting a studio for a long time and even missed the horrendous one I built in college.
Yeah, I know, god awful. But, It served me well as a white box for portrait photography:
As time has progressed and I moved away from my college town and into my career I had a serious lack of permanent studio in my life. I was used to relying on muslin backdrops and Arri lights.
So I proposed to my boss that we should turn our storage and equipment room into a dedicated studio — He gave me the permission.
The first step was to light the room up. We had luckily inherited a ton of older high-wattage cans and a full electrified pipe grid from a client who was stripping out their old studio.
Next up. get that wall green!
This actually worked quite well for a good bit of time. But as things grow and we used the space more and more it was time for an actual cyclorama build.
And the final look, as of just a few days ago, with another tweak:
That should pretty much wrap it up for this build. It seems to work pretty damn well in all honesty. I’ve shot probably 60 different videos on it in the past year. Well worth the work on it.